Mexico LLM Resources

This page is a resource for Mexican lawyers who would like to attend a U.S. LLM program or a U.S. based online LLM program.

Obtaining a U.S. Student Visa for Mexican Students

Lawyers from Mexico who want to attend earn an LLM degree in the United States must apply for an F visa for academic studies. There is also an M visa available for vocational and nonacademic studies, but this visa does not pertain to advanced degrees like the LLM. Before applying for the visa, the student must first apply and be accepted by a school located in the United States. The student should request Form I-20 (also known as Form I-20M) from the school.

Different schools may ask for slightly different information about academic qualifications before issuing Form I-20, but most will require verification that the student has sufficient funds for tuition and living expenses. Once the form has been issued, it must be presented at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico during a scheduled interview.

Student visa applicants should bring the following documentation to their visa interview:

  • A passport with a valid date that extends beyond the intended period of study

  • Original bank receipt showing that the $160 visa application fee has been paid

  • A confirmation page with bar code verifying that the DS-160 form (online non-immigrant visa application) has been submitted

  • Verification that the I-901 SEVIS fee has been paid; SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is used to verify the enrollment status for all holders of student visas; the fee is currently $200 and must be paid prior to visiting the embassy or consulate to apply for a student visa.

  • Form I-20 (supplied by the U.S. school where the student has been accepted); applications should make sure that information on the form matches their passport information

  • Proof that the student can pay for the first year of his or her academic program and has financial resources for living expenses

For more information about obtaining a U.S. student visa in Mexico, visit the Embassy of the United States in Mexico website.

LLM Resources for Mexican Lawyers

Lawyers who are interested in participating in an LLM program in the United States, will be pleased to know that there are a wide variety of LLM scholarships for international students.

Hispanic National Bar Association

Mexican lawyers who travel to the United States to earn an LLM degree should consider joining the Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA). The HBNA represents the interests of more than 100,000 Hispanic attorneys, judges, educators and students in the United States and Puerto Rico. Students who join the HNBA can participate in networking conferences, mentoring programs, job fairs and moot court competitions.

Mexican American Bar Association

LLM students in Southern California may be interested in the Mexican American Bar Association (MABA). This prominent association is committed to the advancement of Latinos in the legal profession. MABA provides students with free membership and access to a wide variety of mentorship programs and networking events, as well as fellowships and scholarships.

U.S.-Mexico Bar Association

The U.S.-Mexico Bar Association (USMBA) is a bi-national association that fosters understanding of the legal system and cultural differences of the United States and Mexico. The association, which is known in Mexico as the Barra de Abogados México-Estados Unidos, also seeks to promote professional exchanges between members and provide continuing bilingual legal education.